Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Officially Appointed To Expo Line Phase II Bicycle Advisory Committee


By a narrow margin in a field of highly qualified candidates, I was selected last night by the Santa Monica City Council for the 2nd of two available positions to represent the city in the Expo Line Bicycle Advisory Committee. Longtime resident and bicycle advocate Barbara Fillet was selected for the first Santa Monica position and we will together represent Santa Monica alongside other committee members representing other communities along the phase II route. We will be overseeing the bikeway connectivity and other other bike facilities being developed in conjunction with the pending rail line, providing feedback and recommendations.

This is my first time serving on a public committee body, and I'm sure there will be a little bit of a learning curve to how this whole process works, but I am excited and honored to be selected. It is my intention to represent existing and future bicyclists and transit users to the best of my ability. I'm a strong believer in rail transportation and bicycling, and that the two modes compliment each other in a way that builds a system greater than the sum of it's parts. Let's make it happen!

I also want to make myself available to anyone, to answer questions and solicit feedback and concerns as the design and build of this project develops.

I can be reached via "gary rides bikes [A]  g m a i l  DOT com" and for twitter users, I am fairly active on there as @garyridesbikes.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Congratulations! I know you'll continue to advocate for the cycling community. Well done.