Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Santa Monica News Site, Santa Monica Patch Launches. I'm A Contributor.

Update: The site was up briefly this morning when I posted, and this post was a tad early, official launch is tomorrow morning. Sleep deprivation made me forget what day of the week it was..

Patch is a fairly new service hosted by AOL focusing on hyper local news in smaller communities, cities and neighborhoods, with local contributors. A few areas in the Los Angeles region already had Patch sites, such as Venice. The Santa Monica Patch just launched with local resident Kurt Orzeck as the editor. He heard me speak at the City Council meeting a few weeks ago that discussed changing the ordinance concerning sidewalk riding to make it citable as an infraction rather than a mandatory misdemeanor. Inquiring further he found my blog, thought it was interesting, and asked me to put together something exclusive for the launch of the site.

I tried to capture some of where the state of cycling is at in Santa Monica, and plug the coming bike plan process to get more people interested in it. Unlike this blog where I know most people are regular followers and clued into cycling generally, I tried to make the article for Patch a little more approachable for a general audience. You can check out the article here.

This would mark my first time being paid to write. I started blogging just to get ideas and thoughts out into the world, and never pursued advertising. It's nothing to quit my day job over just yet, but it's nice. Kurt seems interested in me possibly continuing to contribute to the site, so we'll see where it goes.

No comments: