Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Motor Mania

I just finished reading Tom Vanderbilt's Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us). The book takes a deep look at the psychology of driving, what's going on up stairs when we are behind the wheel of an automobile. I already thought about cars and traffic from a more analytical perspective, both as a driver (before I got rid of the car), and as a cyclist. I read a lot of transportation blogs, and as you know I write about a lot of transportation issues my self. However, this book still managed to blow my mind, flip ideas I had upside down, and force me to think about things I had never even considered.

I'll write a more complete review of the book soon, but in the mean time I thought I would share Walt Disney's thoughts on our driving culture from 1950.


No comments: